Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Guilty

It's been a little while since the dogs have gotten any blog-love. (Although, as I think about the story I am about to share, this probably doesn't qualify as 'blog-love' towards Bella, so I suppose that streak continues...)
This is Bella.

A little background before we begin:   Bella has always been the more 'challenging' of our dogs.  She took forever to get house-broken, she is needy and just generally more high maintenance.
She is also the one who can often be found circling my feet while I cook dinner in case something drops or laying underneath the high chair so that she can convince Sydney to throw her a little something.  She acts like we never feed her.

Monday night I was going to cook chicken for dinner. Just as I finished getting all of my prep done, Dan got home from work and Sydney decided that she needed a nap, so I pushed my cutting board with my (raw) chicken back on the counter. (You know, so it wasn't near the edge of the counter and tempting to our four-legged friends, 'cause I'm thoughtful like that). We went and put Sydney down for a nap and Dan changed clothes, then we headed back downstairs to cook dinner. 

I got back into the kitchen and got my oil heating in the pan, my broccoli steaming, etc.  And then I turned around to grab my chicken.  I turned around and grabbed where I knew I had left my cutting board.  But I missed.... My cutting board was right on the edge of the counter. Right on the edge. "Hmm" I thought to myself, "that's funny, I wouldn't have left that there."  I pushed it a little further back and it hit me that the cutting board was empty.  Not a speck of chicken anywhere.  I called to Dan: "where's my chicken?"  He laughed and I was like "no, seriously, I must be going crazy, where did I put my chicken?  I KNOW I left it right here.  OH NO.  You don't think the dogs ate it, do you?" 

A quick glance at Bella confirmed that she was the culpit.  She was cowering in the corner and not looking at me.  "What is this????" I asked Bella while pointing at my (licked clean) cutting board; she turned and ran upstairs to hide out for the rest of the night.  Definitely the guilty party.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie First Birthday tickers